A Powerful Energy Practice
The energy industry by its nature is complex, and so are its legal matters. Businesses that explore, develop, produce, store, market, transport and process energy resources are among the most capital intensive in the world. Energy industry transactions – from business combinations to raising capital – are high stakes and high impact.
Andrews Kurth has maintained a preeminent reputation in the global energy industry for more than a century, with a successful track record of depth and breadth that few other firms can match. We monitor trends in the industry and consider our in-depth, current knowledge and vast experience to be differentiating factors between Andrews Kurth and other firms. Our energy practice draws upon the Firm’s full global resources and strengths:
- More than 200 of our lawyers form one of the nation’s largest, and highly effective energy practices
- Andrews Kurth is headquartered in Houston, Texas, the epicenter of the energy industry
- Annually, the dollar value of energy-related deals for which Andrews Kurth provides legal counsel exceeds $30 billion
- Andrews Kurth was involved in the creation of the first Master Limited Partnership (MLP) in the early 1980s, and we have remained a market leader in MLPs due to our deep experience in addressing the complex partnership, securities, tax and business issues associated with creating, governing and growing an MLP
We have advised clients on mergers and acquisitions, asset acquisitions and divestitures, capital market and commercial bank financing of all types, state and federal regulatory matters, tax matters, litigation, corporate issues (including board and committee counseling, and corporate compliance and investigations), reorganizations and restructurings, project development and financing, securitizations and structured financing, and matters involving intellectual property issues. Our clients include many of the largest and most successful publicly traded and private companies in the energy industry, including:
- Apache Corporation
- Basic Energy Services, Inc.
- Cheniere Energy, Inc.
- Chevron U.S.A. Inc.
- Duke Energy Corporation
- EOG Resources, Inc.
- Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
- Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Hercules Offshore, Inc.
- Hilcorp Energy Company
- Pattern Energy Group LP
- Rowan Companies plc
- The Williams Companies, Inc.
- ZaZa Energy Corporation
Influential In The Industry
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice is consistently recognized among the best in the legal industry, with regular top rankings from Bloomberg, Thomson Financial, Chambers and Partners (USA, Latin America and Global), Legal 500, the SEC New Registrants Report, The American Lawyer Corporate Scorecard, the Deal Makers Law Awards, Benchmark Litigation and Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report.
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice has thrived with landmark deals and impressive results for our clients:
- Counseled Enterprise Products Partners L.P. in its merger with TEPPCO Partners L.P. to form the nation’s largest publicly traded energy partnership.
- Represented underwriters Goldman Sachs and Barclays Capital in the initial public offering of the Houston-based oil and gas pipeline company Kinder Morgan, Inc. This represented the largest private equity-backed IPO in United States history, and attorneys from the Houston, Austin and Washington, DC offices of Andrews Kurth took part in the record-setting transaction.
- Represented Cheniere Energy Partners, L.P. in its $6 billion Sabine Pass Liquefaction LLC LNG export project, comprising approximately of $3.6 billion of project finance debt and approximately $2 billion of equity.
- Challenged a jury verdict on behalf of long-standing firm client, BP Corporation North America Inc., in a case involving an alleged chemical release at one of BP’s refineries. The district court rendered a decision striking the plaintiff’s $100 million punitive damage award in its entirety.
- Advised Frontier Oil Corporation in its merger with Holly Corporation to form the fourth largest independent oil refiner in the United States.
- Represented Apache Corporation in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Mariner Energy, marking Apache’s first major entrance into the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
- Advised Sinopec, China's largest oil company and Asia's largest oil refiner, in a transaction with Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy) for the acquisition by Sinopec of Oxy's Argentine oil and gas business, including 23 concessions located in three Argentine provinces. Andrews Kurth and the Argentine firm of Alfaro Abogados advised Sinopec on the transaction.
- Served as primary development counsel and primary finance counsel to international energy companies, AEI and Pattern Energy Group LP, for the $245 million development and financing of Parque Eólico El Arrayán SpA’s 115 MW wind power project.
- Counseled Cordillera Energy Partners III, LLC (Cordillera) in its $3.1 billion acquisition by Apache Corporation (Apache). The combination of the two companies’ Western Anadarko position created a platform for a multi-decade development program in a variety of horizontal targets.
- Secured a significant verdict for Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy in a trade secret and computer fraud case against a former employee.
- Participated as issuer, underwriters or investor counsel in more than 195 follow-on equity offerings of MLPs and their general partners, including private placements and registered offerings, since 2000.
Energy In All Its Forms
Our attorneys have experience in all areas of the energy industry, including:
- Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs)—Andrews Kurth was involved in the creation of the first MLPs in the early 1980s and served as issuer’s counsel on the first “drop down” MLP in 1983. Since the 1980s, we have been a market leader in MLP transactions due to our deep experience in addressing the complex tax partnership, securities and business issues associated with creating, governing and growing an MLP.
- Oil and Gas—As counselors to domestic and international oil and gas leaders, we use our experience in all facets of the oil and gas industry to guide a range of clients upstream, midstream and downstream.
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)—When counseling top sponsors, advisors and lenders in LNG projects and financings, Andrews Kurth brings technical experience to bridge the gap between all parties. We counsel on both the investment and the industry side of sophisticated LNG transactions and associated regulatory guidance.
- Alternative Energy—We are a leading firm in renewable energy fuels, power, regulation, investment and environmental trading. Our lawyers get deals done by helping clients navigate the complexities of renewable energy projects and maximize available tax, financial and environmental credits and incentives for biofuels, clean energy, solar energy and wind energy.
- Electric—Andrews Kurth represents the owners and developers of electricity projects in all aspects of acquisition and development of their projects as well as representing participants in the electric industry before both the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and state public utility commissions. Our broad experience includes navigating the wide array of contracts, statutes and regulations that affect our clients.
- Energy Regulatory—Andrews Kurth advises clients on meeting competitive challenges while remaining compliant with regulations at both the federal and state levels. Our prominent national reputation as counselors on issues pertinent to the natural gas industry is based on decades of experience in the wide range of issues that have regulated natural gas pipelines.
With a strong commitment to client service, and a deep understanding of the industries we serve, Andrews Kurth will continue to offer sophisticated legal solutions for energy.
- Anti-Corruption and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Antitrust Counseling
- Antitrust Litigation
- Banking/Financial Services
- Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring
- Business Tax
- Capital Markets
- Central Asia/China
- Class Action Litigation
- Climate Change Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Compliance, Investigations and Defense
- Debt Financing
- Energy Disputes and Litigation
- Environmental Disputes, Contested Proceedings and Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Executive Compensation/Employee Benefits
- Exempt Organizations
- General Administrative
- Initial Public Offerings (IPO)
- Intellectual Property Counseling and Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Opinions
- International Dispute Resolution
- Investment Funds
- IP Litigation
- Latin America/Caribbean
- Mass Tort
- Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Middle East
- Oil and Gas Disputes
- Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights
- Private Equity
- Products Liability
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Agency and Environmental Experience
- South Asia/India
- Technology Transactions
- Transactional Tax
- Venture Capital
- Alternative Energy
- Banking/Financial Services
- Energy Regulatory
- Energy Transactions
- Federal Regulatory
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Natural Gas
- Oil and Gas
- Solar Energy
- State Regulatory
- Wind Energy
Recognized as a Recommended Litigation Practice in Texas
Recognized as a 2014 "Go-To Law Firm" in the area of Contracts Litigation by General Electric
Recognized as a Tier 1 Energy Law practice in the United States
Recognized as a Tier 1 Oil & Gas Law practice in the United States
Recognized as a Tier 1 Project Finance Law practice in the United States
- 11/1/2013Andrews Kurth Named Among Best Law Firms for 2014
- 10/2/2013Andrews Kurth Expands International Energy Presence with Launch of Middle East Office in Dubai
- 8/21/2013International Oil and Gas Lawyer Jubilee Easo to Join Andrews Kurth in London
- 5/30/2013Chambers USA Recognizes Andrews Kurth for Oil & Gas Client Service Award
- 5/24/2013Andrews Kurth Receives High Marks from 2013 Chambers & Partners USA Guide
- Anti-Market Manipulation Rules under FERC Order No. 670April 19, 2007
- Natural Gas StorageApril 11, 2007
- Natural Gas StorageMarch 8, 2007
- U.S. Supreme Court to Decide on Tax Treatment of Severance PaymentsNovember 21, 2013
- New Tax Regulations Make NOL-limiting Ownership Changes a Little Easier to Track and a Little Less Likely to OccurNovember 20, 2013
- The Oil and Gas Industry in Kurdistan Drives Forward Andrews Kurth Middle East NewsletterOctober 30, 2013
- Offshore Europe Showcases Internationalization of North Sea Oil and Gas Capabilities Andrews Kurth Middle East NewsletterOctober 30, 2013
- Norwegian Oil and Gas Technology and Know-How Driving Deep Water Activity Andrews Kurth Middle East NewsletterOctober 30, 2013