A Powerful Energy Practice
The energy industry by its nature is complex, and so are its legal matters. Businesses that explore, develop, produce, store, market, transport and process energy resources are among the most capital intensive in the world. Energy industry transactions – from business combinations to raising capital – are high stakes and high impact.
Andrews Kurth has maintained a preeminent reputation in the global energy industry for more than a century, with a successful track record of depth and breadth that few other firms can match. We monitor trends in the industry and consider our in-depth, current knowledge and vast experience to be differentiating factors between Andrews Kurth and other firms. Our energy practice draws upon the Firm’s full global resources and strengths:
- More than 200 of our lawyers form a highly effective global energy practice
- Andrews Kurth is headquartered in Houston, Texas, the epicenter of the energy industry
- A global network of energy specialists across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia
- Annually, the dollar value of energy-related deals for which Andrews Kurth provides legal counsel exceeds $30 billion
- Andrews Kurth was involved in the creation of the first Master Limited Partnership (MLP) in the early 1980s, and we have remained a market leader in MLPs due to our deep experience in addressing the complex partnership, securities, tax and business issues associated with creating, governing and growing an MLP
We have advised clients on mergers and acquisitions, asset acquisitions and divestitures, capital market and commercial bank financing of all types, state and federal regulatory matters, tax matters, litigation, corporate issues (including board and committee counseling, and corporate compliance and investigations), reorganizations and restructurings, project development and financing, securitizations and structured financing, and matters involving intellectual property issues. Our clients include many of the largest and most successful publicly traded and private companies in the energy industry, including:
- Apache Corporation
- Basic Energy Services, Inc.
- Cheniere Energy, Inc.
- Chevron U.S.A. Inc.
- Duke Energy Corporation
- EOG Resources, Inc.
- Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
- Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Hercules Offshore, Inc.
- Hilcorp Energy Company
- Pattern Energy Group LP
- Regency Energy Partners LP
- Rowan Companies plc
- The Williams Companies, Inc.
Influential In The Industry
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice is consistently recognized among the best in the legal industry, with regular top rankings from Bloomberg, Thomson Financial, Chambers and Partners (USA, Latin America and Global), Legal 500, the SEC New Registrants Report, The American Lawyer Corporate Scorecard, the Deal Makers Law Awards, Benchmark Litigation and Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report.
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice has thrived with landmark deals and impressive results for our clients:
- Counseled Enterprise Products Partners L.P. in its merger with TEPPCO Partners L.P. to form the United States' largest publicly traded energy partnership.
- Represented underwriters Goldman Sachs and Barclays Capital in the initial public offering of the Houston-based oil and gas pipeline company Kinder Morgan, Inc. This represented the largest private equity-backed IPO in United States history, and attorneys from the Houston, Austin and Washington, DC offices of Andrews Kurth took part in the record-setting transaction.
- Represented Cheniere Energy Partners, L.P. in its $6 billion Sabine Pass Liquefaction LLC LNG export project, comprising approximately of $3.6 billion of project finance debt and approximately $2 billion of equity.
- Challenged a jury verdict on behalf of long-standing firm client, BP Corporation North America Inc., in a case involving an alleged chemical release at one of BP’s refineries. The district court rendered a decision striking the plaintiff’s $100 million punitive damage award in its entirety.
- Advised Frontier Oil Corporation in its merger with Holly Corporation to form the fourth largest independent oil refiner in the United States.
- Represented Apache Corporation in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Mariner Energy, marking Apache’s first major entrance into the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
- Advised Sinopec, China's largest oil company and Asia's largest oil refiner, in a transaction with Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy) for the acquisition by Sinopec of Oxy's Argentine oil and gas business, including 23 concessions located in three Argentine provinces. Andrews Kurth and the Argentine firm of Alfaro Abogados advised Sinopec on the transaction.
- Served as primary development counsel and primary finance counsel to international energy companies, AEI and Pattern Energy Group LP, for the $245 million development and financing of Parque Eólico El Arrayán SpA’s 115 MW wind power project in Chile.
- Counseled Cordillera Energy Partners III, LLC (Cordillera) in its $3.1 billion acquisition by Apache Corporation (Apache). The combination of the two companies’ Western Anadarko position created a platform for a multi-decade development program in a variety of horizontal targets.
- Secured a significant verdict for Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy in a trade secret and computer fraud case against a former employee.
- Participated as issuer, underwriter or investor counsel in more than 225 follow-on equity offerings of MLPs or their general partners, including private placements, registered offerings and at-the-market offerings (ATMs), since 2000.
Energy In All Its Forms
Our attorneys have experience in all areas of the energy industry, including:
- Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs)—Andrews Kurth was involved in the creation of the first MLPs in the early 1980s and served as issuer’s counsel on the first “drop down” MLP in 1983. Since the 1980s, we have been a market leader in MLP transactions due to our deep experience in addressing the complex tax partnership, securities and business issues associated with creating, governing and growing an MLP.
- Oil and Gas—As counselors to domestic and international oil and gas leaders, we use our experience in all facets of the oil and gas industry to guide a range of clients upstream, midstream and downstream.
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)—When counseling top sponsors, advisors and lenders in LNG projects and financings, Andrews Kurth brings technical experience to bridge the gap between all parties. We counsel on both the investment and the industry side of sophisticated LNG transactions and associated regulatory guidance.
- Alternative Energy—We are a leading firm in renewable energy fuels, power, regulation, investment and environmental trading. Our lawyers get deals done by helping clients navigate the complexities of renewable energy projects and maximize available tax, financial and environmental credits and incentives for biofuels, clean energy, solar energy and wind energy.
- Electric—Andrews Kurth represents the owners and developers of electricity projects in all aspects of acquisition and development of their projects as well as representing participants in the electric industry before both the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and state public utility commissions. Our broad experience includes navigating the wide array of contracts, statutes and regulations that affect our clients.
- Energy Regulatory—Andrews Kurth advises clients on meeting competitive challenges while remaining compliant with regulations at both the federal and state levels. Our prominent national reputation as counselors on issues pertinent to the natural gas industry is based on decades of experience in the wide range of issues that have regulated natural gas pipelines.
With a strong commitment to client service, and a deep understanding of the industries we serve, Andrews Kurth will continue to offer sophisticated legal solutions for energy.
- Anti-Corruption and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Antitrust Counseling
- Antitrust Litigation
- Banking/Financial Services
- Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring
- Business Tax
- Capital Markets
- Central Asia/China
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Corporate Compliance, Investigations and Defense
- Debt Financing
- Energy Disputes and Litigation
- Environmental Disputes, Contested Proceedings and Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Executive Compensation/Employee Benefits
- Exempt Organizations
- General Administrative
- Initial Public Offerings (IPOs)
- Intellectual Property Counseling and Litigation
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- Intellectual Property Opinions
- International Arbitration
- Investment Funds
- IP Litigation
- Latin America/Caribbean
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Mass Tort
- Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Middle East
- Oil and Gas Disputes
- Patents, Trademarks and Copyrights
- Private Equity
- Products Liability
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Agency and Environmental Experience
- South Asia/India
- Technology Transactions
- Transactional Tax
- Venture Capital
- Alternative Energy
- Banking/Financial Services
- Energy Regulatory
- Energy Transactions
- Federal Regulatory
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Natural Gas
- Oil and Gas
- Solar Energy
- State Regulatory
- Wind Energy
#10 Legal Advisor for Texas M&A transactions by deal count (12) Q2 2014
#15 Legal Advisor for Texas M&A transactions by value ($8.551 billion) Q2 2014
#17 Canadian Involvement, Completed, by deal value ($3.1 billion) Q2 2014
#20 in Canadian Involvement, Announced, by deal value ($3.1 billion) Q2 2014
#17 Energy Legal Adviser, by deal value ($1.987 billion) Q2 2014
- 7/15/2014Andrews Kurth Represents NRG Energy in $1 Billion Carbon Capture Joint Venture with JX Nippon Oil & Gas
- 6/27/2014The 2014 Legal 500 Guide Ranks Andrews Kurth in 13 Practice Areas
- 5/23/2014Andrews Kurth Receives High Marks from 2014 Chambers & Partners USA Guide
- 5/1/2014Andrews Kurth Project Finance Partner Giji John Named Rising Star by Law360
- 3/7/2014Andrews Kurth Lawyers Recognized as 2014 Texas Rising Stars
- Protecting People, Assets and Technologies in the Middle EastJune 6, 2014
- Workshop for the Afghanistan Ministry of Mining and PetroleumJune 2, 2014
- Webcast: Deal Review & Outlook: Oil & GasMarch 13, 2014
- Intelligent Energy Law in the Middle East—Protecting and Exploiting Advanced Energy Technology and Know-HowFebruary 6, 2014
- Platts 14th Annual Caribbean Energy ConferenceJanuary 20, 2014
- Work Obligations and the Farm-Out Agreement: The Consequences of Partial Performance Notes From The Field - An English Law Perspective On The Oil & Gas MarketAugust 2014
- Unitisation – The Oil and Gas Industry’s Solution to One of Geology’s Many Conundrums Notes From The Field - An English Law Perspective On The Oil & Gas MarketAugust 2014
- The UK 14th Onshore Oil and Gas Licensing Round Notes From The Field - An English Law Perspective On The Oil & Gas MarketAugust 2014
- This is Not America: Why US Royalty and Project Structures are Essential to UK Unconventional Gas Developments Notes From The Field - An English Law Perspective On The Oil & Gas MarketJuly 2014
- LNG Quality Specifications: Risks and Challenges Notes From The Field - An English Law Perspective On The Oil & Gas MarketJuly 2014