George's practice focuses on U.S. and international project development and finance, corporate finance, strategic joint ventures, mergers and acquisitions, especially in the energy industry. Specifically, George's practice encompasses:
- Project development, including the drafting and negotiation of engineering, procurement and construction contracts, balance of plant agreements, turbine supply agreements, build-out agreements, energy hedge agreements, coordination agreements, operation and maintenance agreements, shared facilities agreements, power purchase agreements, secondment agreements, requests for proposals, and purchase and sale agreements
- Project finance, including the drafting and negotiation of loan agreements and loan documentation, such as security agreements, guarantees, letters of credit, equity contribution agreements, intercreditor agreements, pledge agreements, depository agreements, control agreements, subordination agreements, consents and agreements, opinions, lien waivers and UCC filings
- Advising on, structuring and documenting multiple phase, merchant and other energy projects, and identifying and minimizing regulatory, transmission and other risks associated with such energy projects
- Helping developers negotiate with their development partners, lenders, tax equity investors, power purchasers, energy hedge providers, turbine suppliers, EPC, BOP and other contractors, and drafting structures to help his clients maximize value from their projects
- Corporate finance transactions, including advising large banks and corporations (both as borrowers and lenders) on multimillion dollar credit facilities ranging from syndicated, multi-currency, multi-jurisdictional loans to single-lender seller financing, preparing and negotiating the loan documents, and securing collateral often located across the United States and the world
- Intercreditor transactions, including advising clients on complex intercreditor issues, including multiple lien priorities, claimholder voting, standstill periods, cure rights, enforcement actions, payment waterfalls, collateral dispositions, casualty events, rights to amend documents, purchase options and other difficult intercreditor issues
- General corporate practice, including mergers, acquisitions and divestitures, including advising his clients on the strategic acquisition of other companies and project rights, and on the buy-out of a development partner's interest
- Representation of Fortune 500 companies doing business in Latin America (e.g., Bolivia, Chile, El Salvador, Guatemala, Honduras, Mexico, Nicaragua and Venezuela), including the identifying and minimizing of emerging market risks, structuring and documenting joint ventures and strategic acquisitions, and the selection, coordination and management of foreign counsel
- Currently advising the sponsor on the approximately $1 billion financing of a natural gas-to-methanol-to-gasoline project in Louisiana.
- Currently advising the sponsor on the project financing by multilateral and local banks of a 40 MW solar project in Chile.
- Currently advising the sponsor on the development of a 23 MW wind power project in Guatemala, including negotiating the EPC contract for the project.
- Currently advising a U.S. company on the acquisition of nine energy development projects in Mexico.
- Currently advising the sponsor on the negotiation of a power purchase agreement on Texas for a 100 MW solar project.
- Currently advising, on behalf of the sponsor, the early development of an up to 2,000 MW wind project in Oklahoma, including the formation of the project company and drafting of the form wind lease.
- In September 2014, negotiated to close a power purchase agreement in Spanish for a 100 MW solar PV facility in Chile.
- In June 2014, negotiated to close, on behalf of the buyer, the acquisition of ownership interests in a 115 MW wind project in operation in Chile.
- In May 2014, advised an energy company on the acquisition of an interest in a 100 MW+ wind project in Japan, including negotiation of the joint venture agreement.
- In March 2014, advised a foreign energy company on the potential acquisition of energy assets in the United States with a value in excess of USD 2 billion.
- In January 2014, advised a foreign buyer in the potential acquisition of a worldwide oil and gas business based in Houston.
- In 2013, advised an international energy company on the potential acquisition of solar PV development rights for projects in excess of 200 MW in Chile.
- In 2013, negotiated to close, on behalf of the sponsor, a FEED engineering agreement for a greenfield crude oil refinery to be constructed in Louisiana.
- In 2013, negotiated to close an engineering, procurement and construction contract for the construction of an approximately $120 million carbon capture and mineralization facility to be located in Texas.
- In 2013, negotiated to close 15-year warranty and maintenance agreements for five wind projects located across the United States.
- In 2012, ran international finance legal team and negotiated to close $245 million debt financing of Parque Eólico El Arrayán SpA, a 115 MW wind power project to be located northeast of Santiago, Chile, jointly owned by AEI, Pattern Energy Group LP and Antofagasta Minerals SA. The financing included a construction debt facility that converts to a 15-year term loan, a letter of credit facility and a value-added tax finance facility. The construction and term loans were provided in two tranches, one from Denmark's export credit agency, EKF, which provided guaranteed loans through its ELO program, and the second tranche by a consortium of international commercial lenders comprised of The Bank of Tokyo-Mitsubishi UFJ, Ltd., Sumitomo Mitsui Banking Corporation and Credit Agricole Corporate & Investment Bank. The commercial lenders also provided the letter of credit facility, and Chilean bank Corpbanca provided the value-added tax financing.
- In 2012, closed the 20-year power purchase agreement and offtake arrangements for Parque Eólico El Arrayán SpA, a 115 MW wind power project under construction and located northeast of Santiago, Chile, jointly owned by AEI, Pattern Energy Group LP and Antofagasta Minerals SA.
- "Developing Wind Energy Projects in Latin America," (pdf) Poster Presentation, American Wind Energy Association (May 2010)
- "U.S. Wind Finance: Trying to Keep Pace," Poster Presentation, American Wind Energy Association (June 2008)
- "A gust of growth propels the U.S. wind industry," Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC (July 2007)
- "U.S. wind power: Gales of opportunity," Euromoney Institutional Investor PLC (March 1, 2005)
- "Staying Alive in a Scary World: Survival Strategies for the Power Industry: Techniques for troubled power companies to use in negotiating workouts with their lenders," Texas Lawyer (May 19, 2003)
- "State of the Art: An Analysis of Portfolio Power Project Financing," Project Finance Magazine - Power Report Supplement (September 1, 2001)
- "Dictionary of Mexican Legal Terminology," Escuela Libre de Derecho, Mexico City, Mexico (December 1999)
- "Powers of Attorney in Mexico: Guidelines and Strategies," Mexican Law: A Treatise for Legal Practitioners and International Investors (August 1998)
- "Accident Prone - Keeping Companies Out of Harm's Way," Business Mexico (July 1996)
- “Renewable Energy Projects in Chile: Obtaining PPAs and Winning Financing in a Crowded Marketplace,” Green Power webinar (August 2014)
- “Renewable Energy Projects in Mexico: Obtaining PPAs and Arranging & Closing Financing in the Shadow of the New Energy Reforms,” Green Power webinar (April 2014)
- “Renewable Energy Projects in South America: Obtaining Power Purchase Agreements and Arranging and Closing Financing,” Green Power webinar (November 2013)
- “Acquiring, Developing and Financing Your Renewable Project in Chile,” Chilean International Renewable Energy Congress, Santiago, Chile (September 2013)
- “Renewable Energy for Private Offtakers in Chile,” Chilean International Renewable Energy Congress, Santiago, Chile (September 2013)
- “Wind Project Financing: Deal Structures and Strategies in the Current Landscape,” Renewable Energy World, Orlando, Florida (December 2012)
- “Developing and Closing the 115 MW Arrayan Wind Project in Chile,” Chilean International Renewable Energy Congress, Santiago, Chile (September 2012)
- "Developing and Financing Wind Energy Projects in Mexico," Brazil Windpower 2010, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (pdf)
- WINDPOWER 2010, American Wind Energy Association, Dallas, Texas (May 2010)
- “Developing Wind Power Projects Abroad,” Annual Institute of the International Law Section, State Bar of Texas, Houston, Texas (March 2010)
- “Renewable Finance and Stimulus Law Funding: What You Need to Know for 2010,” Andrews Kurth LLP webinar (January 2010)
- “Best Practices for Foreign Sponsors Developing Wind Energy Projects In Mexico,” Latin America Wind Energy Association, Monterrey, Mexico (November 2009)
- “Cutting Edge Developments in Renewable Energy Finance,” Renewable Energy Finance and Investment Summit, Miami, Florida (September 2009)
- “Infrastructure Investment Opportunities in the U.S. under the Obama Administration,” Moderator, Annual Institute of the International Law Section, State Bar of Texas, Houston, Texas (March 2009)
- “Buying and Selling Wind Power Assets: Acquisition Financing,” Wind Power Finance and Investment Summit, San Diego, California (February 2009)
- George was co-instructor in a course at the Escuela Libre de Derecho in Mexico City, Mexico, on Comparative Law and Legal Translation. He taught about the differences in U.S. and Mexican law as they relate to the translation of legal documents (English to Spanish and Spanish to English) during sessions held in Fall 1995 and Fall 1996.
- Profiled as one of the world’s finest lawyers in Energy, Petroleum Economist Expert Guides (2013)
- Profiled as one of the leading Renewables and Alternative Energy (2013-2014) and Project Finance (2014) lawyers in the United States, The US Legal 500
- Profiled as one of the leading Projects & Energy international lawyers in Latin America, The Legal 500 Latin America (2013-2014)
- Profiled as an Outstanding Practitioner, Guide to the World's Leading Energy Lawyers (2012)
- Profiled as one of the leading Projects lawyers in the world, Chambers & Partners Global: The World's Leading Business Lawyers (2012)
- Profiled as one of the leading Projects lawyers in the United States, Chambers & Partners USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers (2009-2011)
- Alternative Energy
- Banking/Financial Services
- Clean Technology
- Credit Financing
- Energy Services
- Energy Transactions
- Private Equity
- Solar Energy
- Venture Capital
- Wind Energy
- Banking/Financial Services
- Latin America/Caribbean
- Project Finance
- Technology and Emerging Companies
- JD, 1994, University of Florida Levin College of Law, Florida Journal of International Law, Senior Research Editor
- BA, 1991, with honors, University of Florida College of Liberal Arts
- Texas 1998
- Florida 1994
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- State Bar of Florida
- Treasurer and Head of Law Student Outreach, International Law Section, State Bar of Texas
- Eagle Scout, Boy Scouts of America
- 10/10/2014Andrews Kurth Recognized in 2014 Legal 500 Latin America Guide
- 6/27/2014The 2014 Legal 500 Guide Ranks Andrews Kurth in 13 Practice Areas
- 6/4/2013The 2013 Legal 500 Guide Ranks Andrews Kurth in 13 Practice Areas
- 5/7/2012Andrews Kurth Helps AEI and Pattern Energy Group LP Close $245 Million Project Financing for Construction of Largest Wind Farm in Chile