Suzanne Campbell Wellen
Suzanne's practice focuses on civil commercial litigation with an emphasis on cases involving real estate transactions, alleged securities fraud, contract disputes, deceptive trade practices, business torts and attempted class actions. She has represented retailers, manufacturers, lenders, insurance companies and software companies in both state and federal courts, and has also represented clients in actions to compel arbitration and to enforce judgments.
Over the past five years, Suzanne has spent time working with the firm's Corporate Compliance, Investigations and Defense (CCID) team, representing the Court-appointed receiver in a Securities and Exchange Commission enforcement action against AmeriFirst Funding, Inc., et al., pending in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas.
- Garden Ridge, L.P. v. Clear Lake Center, L.P., Cause No. 2009-58038, in the 215th Judicial District Court of Harris County, Texas (jury trial in February 2012; prepared briefing).
- Garden Ridge, L.P. v. Sears, Roebuck & Co., Civil Action No. 3:08-CV-1992-G, in the United States District Court for the Northern District of Texas, Dallas Division (prepared for jury trial; prepared briefing).
- Whitcraft v. Brown, 570 F. 3d 268 (5th Cir. 2009) (prepared briefing).
- Ridgepine, LLC v. Pineridge Associates, L.P., Cause No. 342-223783-07, in the 342nd Judicial District Court of Tarrant County, Texas (bench trial in January 2009).
- Securities & Exchange Commission v. AmeriFirst Funding, Inc., Civil Action No. 3:07-CV-1188-D, 2008 WL 282275 (N.D. Tex. Feb. 1, 2008) (contempt hearing; prepared briefing).
- Kelvin Cryosystems, Inc. v. Lightnin, 2005 WL 29994693 (E.D. Pa. 2005) (bench trial; prepared briefing), aff'd, 252 Fed. Appx. 469 (3d Cir. 2007) (prepared briefing).
- Coffey v. Singer Asset Finance Co., L.L.C., 223 S.W.3d 559, (Tex. App.—Dallas 2007) (prepared briefing).
- Dockery v. America's Platinum Privileges, Inc., 2004 WL 1196067 (N.D. Tex. 2004) (prepared briefing).
- Settlement Capital Corporation v. BHG Structured Settlements, Inc., 319 F. Supp. 2d 729 (N.D. Tex. 2004) (prepared briefing).
- Schiller v. Physicians Resource Group, Inc., 342 F.3d 563 (5th Cir. 2003) (prepared briefing).
- "The Touchstone for Expert Testimony" The Advocate - State Bar of Texas Litigation Section Report, Vol. 33 (Fall 2005)
- "Taking Race Out of the Equation: Transracial Adoption in 2000" 53 SMU L. Rev. 1599 (2000)
- “Technology in the Courtroom” presented at the 2008 Trial Academy of the Texas Access to Justice Commission, The University of Texas School of Law, Austin, TX (May 21, 2008)
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly (2007, 2009-2011)
- Banking/Financial Services
- Credit Financing
- Manufacturing and Sales
- Oil and Gas
- Real Estate
- Technology and Emerging Companies
- Banking/Finance Litigation
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Corporate Compliance, Investigations and Defense
- Mortgage-Backed Securities
- Oil and Gas Disputes
- Real Estate Litigation
- Securities Litigation
- JD, 2000, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, SMU Law Review, Articles Editor (1999-2000), Staff Member (1998-1999)
- BA, 1997, cum laude, Southern Methodist University, Kappa Tau Alpha
- Texas 2000
- US Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US Court of Appeals for the Sixth Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Dallas Bar Association
- Dallas Association of Young Lawyers, Fellow
- Dallas Volunteer Attorney Program
- Junior League of Dallas
- Dallas Museum of Art Junior Associates Circle, Immediate Past Co-Chair