A Powerful Energy Practice
The energy industry by its nature is complex, and so are its legal matters. Businesses that explore, develop, produce, store, market, transport and process energy resources are among the most capital intensive in the world. Energy industry transactions – from business combinations to raising capital – are high stakes and high impact.
Andrews Kurth has maintained a preeminent reputation in the global energy industry for more than a century, with a successful track record of depth and breadth that few other firms can match. We monitor trends in the industry and consider our in-depth, current knowledge, vast experience and problem-solving approach to be differentiating factors between Andrews Kurth and other firms. Our energy practice draws upon the firm’s full global resources and strengths:
- More than 200 of our lawyers form a highly effective global energy practice
- Andrews Kurth is headquartered in Houston, Texas, the epicenter of the energy industry
- A global network of energy attorneys across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia
- In 2015 alone, the dollar value of energy-related deals for which Andrews Kurth provided legal counsel exceeded $70 billion
- Andrews Kurth was involved in the creation of the first Master Limited Partnership (MLP) in the early 1980s, and we have remained a market leader in MLPs due to our deep experience in addressing the complex partnership, securities, tax and business issues associated with creating, governing and growing an MLP
We have advised clients on mergers and acquisitions, asset acquisitions and divestitures, capital market and commercial bank financing of all types, state and federal regulatory matters, tax matters, litigation, corporate issues (including board and committee counseling, and white collar and regulatory enforcement), reorganizations and restructurings, project development and financing, securitizations and structured financing, strategic joint ventures, and matters involving intellectual property issues. Our clients include many of the largest and most successful publicly traded and private companies in the energy industry, including:
- Apache Corporation
- Basic Energy Services, Inc.
- Cheniere Energy, Inc.
- Chevron U.S.A. Inc.
- Crestwood Equity Partners LP and Crestwood Midstream Partners LP
- Duke Energy Corporation
- Eni US Operating Co. Inc.
- EOG Resources, Inc.
- Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
- Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Fourpoint Holdings, LLC
- Hercules Offshore, Inc.
- Hilcorp Energy Company
- Newfield Exploration
- ONEOK, Inc. and ONEOK Partners, L.P.
- Pattern Energy Group LP
- Petrobras America Inc.
- Quantum Utility Generation, LLC
- Rowan Companies plc
- SemGroup Corporation and Rose Rock Midstream, L.P.
- Tapstone Energy LLC
- The Williams Companies, Inc.
Influential In The Industry
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice is consistently recognized among the best in the legal industry, with regular top rankings from Bloomberg, Thomson Financial, Chambers and Partners (USA, Latin America and Global), Legal 500, the SEC New Registrants Report, The American Lawyer Corporate Scorecard, the Deal Makers Law Awards, Benchmark Litigation and Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report.
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice has thrived with landmark deals and impressive results for our clients:
- Represented Enterprise Products Partners L.P. in its acquisition and subsequent merger of Oiltanking Partners, L.P. for a total value of $6.1 billion.
- Successfully defended a $43 million claim against client Plains Exploration & Production Co. by a prior owner of oil leases off the California coast.
- Represented underwriters Goldman Sachs and Barclays Capital in the initial public offering of oil and gas pipeline company Kinder Morgan, Inc. This represented the largest private equity-backed IPO in United States history.
- Represented Cheniere Energy Partners, L.P. in the financing of trains 1-5 of its Sabine Pass Liquefaction LLC LNG export project, comprising approximately $14 billion of project finance debt and approximately $2 billion of equity.
- Challenged a jury verdict on behalf of long-standing firm client, BP Corporation North America Inc., in a case involving an alleged chemical release at one of BP’s refineries. The district court rendered a decision striking the plaintiff’s $100 million punitive damage award in its entirety.
- Advised Frontier Oil Corporation in its merger with Holly Corporation to form the fourth largest independent oil refiner in the United States.
- Represented Apache Corporation in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Mariner Energy, marking Apache’s first major entrance into the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
- Advised Sinopec, China's largest oil company and Asia's largest oil refiner, in a transaction with Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy) for the acquisition by Sinopec of Oxy's Argentine oil and gas business, including 23 concessions located in three Argentine provinces. Andrews Kurth and the Argentine firm of Alfaro Abogados advised Sinopec on the transaction.
- Served as primary development counsel and primary finance counsel to international energy companies, AEI and Pattern Energy Group LP, for the $245 million development and financing of Parque Eólico El Arrayán SpA’s 115 MW wind power project in Chile.
- Counseled Cordillera Energy Partners III, LLC in its $3.1 billion acquisition by Apache Corporation. The combination of the two companies’ Western Anadarko position created a platform for a multi-decade development program in a variety of horizontal targets.
- Secured a significant verdict for Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy in a trade secret and computer fraud case against a former employee.
- Successful representation of a major international oil and gas exploration company and certain of its joint interests partners in an ICDR Rules arbitration over the sharing of costs of the design, engineering, fabrication, transportation, installation, commissioning and operation of a multibillion-dollar floating offshore production facility in the Gulf of Mexico.
Energy In All Its Forms
Our attorneys have experience in all areas of the energy industry, including:
- Oil and Gas—As counselors to domestic and international oil and gas leaders, we use our experience in all facets of the oil and gas industry to guide a range of clients upstream, midstream and downstream.
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)—When counseling top sponsors, advisors and lenders in LNG projects and financings, Andrews Kurth brings technical experience to bridge the gap between all parties. We counsel on both the investment and the industry side of sophisticated LNG transactions and associated regulatory guidance.
- Alternative Energy—We are a leading firm in renewable energy fuels, power, regulation, investment and environmental trading. Our lawyers get deals done by helping clients navigate the complexities of renewable energy projects and maximize available tax, financial and environmental credits and incentives for biofuels, clean energy, solar energy and wind energy.
- Electric—Andrews Kurth represents the owners and developers of electricity projects in all aspects of acquisition and development of their projects as well as representing participants in the electric industry before both the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and state public utility commissions. Our broad experience includes navigating the wide array of contracts, statutes and regulations that affect our clients.
- Anti-Corruption and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)
- Antitrust Counseling
- Antitrust Litigation
- Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring
- Business Tax
- Central Asia/China
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Commonwealth of Independent States / FSU
- Copyright Litigation
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Eminent Domain and Land Use Litigation
- Energy Disputes and Litigation
- Environmental Disputes, Contested Proceedings and Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Equity and Debt Capital Markets
- Executive Compensation/Employee Benefits
- Exempt Organizations
- General Administrative
- Initial Public Offerings (IPOs)
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- International Arbitration
- Investment Funds
- IP Counseling and Licensing
- Latin America/Caribbean
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Mass Tort
- Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Middle East
- MLP Lending and Finance
- Oil and Gas Disputes
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings
- Private Equity
- Products Liability
- Project Finance
- Qui Tam
- Real Estate
- Regulatory Agency and Environmental Experience
- Securing and Maintaining Trademarks and Brand Names
- South Asia
- Trade Secret/Trade Dress Litigation
- Trade Secrets/Trade Dress
- Trademark Proceedings and Litigation
- Transactional Tax
- Venture Capital
- White Collar and Regulatory Enforcement
- Alternative Energy
- Energy Regulatory
- Energy Technology
- Energy Transactions
- Federal Regulatory
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Natural Gas
- Oil and Gas
- Solar Energy
- State Regulatory
- Wind Energy
#2 Energy M&A Adviser, by deal value ($17.4 billion), Q1 2017
#20 Legal Advisor, U.S. Small-Cap M&A, Undisclosed Values and Values up to $50 million, by volume (1 deal), Q1 2017
#5 Energy M&A Adviser, by deal count (3), Q1 2017
#15 Legal Advisor for M&A transactions in the South by value ($17.95 billion), Q1 2017
#3 Oil & Gas Top Legal Advisers, by deal count (3 deals), Q1 2017
- 4/24/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Lawyers Named in Washington, DC Super Lawyers and Rising Stars 2017
- 3/16/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Recognized in Prestigious 2017 Chambers Global Legal Directory
- 3/8/2017Andrews Kurth Lawyers Recognized as 2017 Texas Rising Stars
- 1/31/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Anticipates Year of Transformation for Egyptian Energy Sector
- 11/1/2016Andrews Kurth Kenyon Named Among Best Law Firms for 2017
- Institute for Energy Law Mergers, Acquisitions & Divestitures ConferenceMay 18, 2017
- Mergermarket’s Ninth Annual Energy ForumApril 20, 2017
- Energy Industry Intellectual Property Law ConferenceMarch 28, 2017
- Texas State Bar’s 29th Annual International Law InstituteFebruary 23, 2017
- 12th Annual TJOGEL SymposiumFebruary 10, 2017
- Opinions of Counsel Once Again Key to Avoiding Enhanced DamagesApril 27, 2017
- Sometimes Two Meetings Aren’t Better than None: The Texas Supreme Court Clarifies the Circumstances Giving Rise to Personal JurisdictionApril 7, 2017
- The Supreme Court Holds that Laches Can No Longer Be Used as a Defense Against Damages Claims in Patent Cases Brought within the Patent Act’s Six-Year Limitations PeriodMarch 24, 2017
- Life Technologies Corp. v. Promega Corp.: Exportation of a Single Component is Not Subject to Patent Liability Under Section 271(f)(1) of the Patent ActMarch 7, 2017
- Pipeline Companies Seeking Common-Carrier Status Now Have Additional Guidelines, But Issues Regarding “Public Use” RemainJanuary 30, 2017