Software and electrical technologies have become fundamental to products across a wide range of applications. To meet the intellectual property needs of companies in these two crucial fields, Andrews Kurth has assembled a team of lawyers who combine extensive experience in software and electrical engineering with patent and business law skills. Our goal is to help our clients gain a competitive edge in the global marketplace by advising them on the most effective patent law strategies to exploit and protect their intellectual assets worldwide.
We Take a Business Perspective
Andrews Kurth takes a business perspective to help our software and electrical clients create, implement and enforce an intellectual property strategy. We collaborate with colleagues throughout the firm who are skilled in litigation, corporate law, employment law, mergers/acquisitions and product liability, and who understand competitive needs in e-commerce, telecommunication and related industries. All of our lawyers work in partnership with client professionals to develop IP strategies that increase and protect each company’s revenues and profit.
We Understand our Clients’ Technologies
Our team includes intellectual property lawyers, patent agents and technical advisors who have strong technical backgrounds, including technical and advanced degrees in:
- Computer science
- Aeronautical engineering
- Civil engineering
We have a natural understanding of such developing interdisciplinary technologies as bioinformatics and medical devices. We also have the broad commercial experience to work with diverse technical disciplines, including software, business methods, hardware, network, Internet, communications, semiconductors, instruments and other related technologies.
We are Skilled at Patent Counseling
Our lawyers regularly practice before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, devoting a significant amount of time to procuring patents on behalf of one or several clients in ex parte and inter partes proceedings. Beyond the patent process itself, we regularly conduct IP audits, and show our clients how to create and carry out domestic and international IP protection strategies.
We Make Technology an Effective Transactional Tool
Patents and patent strategy are only useful when properly exploited. Andrews Kurth lawyers help software and electrical clients – whether individual entrepreneurs, startup companies, multinationals or research institutions – pursue the business transactions that give market value to their intellectual assets. We advise on:
- Licensing agreements, including “licensing in” and “licensing out” transactions
- Marketing and distribution agreements
- Research and development arrangements
- Joint ventures
- Mergers and acquisitions
- Financing transactions for growth, including initial public offerings, debt issues and refinancings
In many transactions, we provide IP audits and due diligence opinions, infringement analysis, patent clearance and freedom to practice opinions.
We Protect our Clients’ Rights
We are committed to aggressive protection of our clients’ intellectual property, and have extensive technology litigation experience in federal and state courts, government agencies as well as international dispute resolution forums. Our lawyers assert IP claims, defend against claims asserted by others, and enforce contracts and strategic alliance agreements. We also provide full litigation support on IP issues involving other disputes such as corporate takeovers, product liability lawsuits, and antitrust and trade regulation challenges.
We Know the Global Marketplace
Andrews Kurth’s software and electrical engineering lawyers recognize that getting and enforcing intellectual property rights and building IP portfolios is a global process. We work through our own domestic and international offices, and use a network of foreign associates to procure and enforce our clients’ intellectual property rights in any part of the world.
We Work with All Applications
Because we have such wide-ranging technology and business experience, we are able to advise our clients on a full spectrum of software and electrical products and processes.
We are Measured by Our Clients’ Success
Software development and electrical engineering are among the most complex technology challenges. Andrews Kurth lawyers understand that complexity and apply it to the business world.
We make certain that the intellectual property rights of our software and electrical clients are protected, never losing sight of the fact that commercial advantage is the ultimate reason for those rights. Clients get straight talk from us—about law and technology—and about how best to ensure marketplace success.
- Copyright Litigation
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- IP Counseling and Licensing
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings
- Securing and Maintaining Trademarks and Brand Names
- Technology and Emerging Companies
- Trade Secret/Trade Dress Litigation
- Trade Secrets/Trade Dress
- Trademark Proceedings and Litigation
- Venture Capital
Recognized as a Recommended Trademark (Contentious) Practice in the United States, IP Stars
Recognized as a Recommended Trademark Prosecution Practice in the United States, IP Stars
Recognized as one of the Most Active Venture Capital Law Firms in the Software sector by deal count (18 deals), Full Year 2016
Recognized as a Leading Enforcement & Litigation Trademark practice in New York, 2017 WTR 1000
Recognized as a Leading Enforcement & Litigation Trademark practice in Washington, DC, 2017 WTR 1000
- 11/2/2015Andrews Kurth Named Among Best Law Firms for 2016
- 8/24/2001Andrews & Kurth Acquires Austin High-Tech Law Firm: Cavazos, Morin, Langenkamp & Ferraro L.L.P. Reinforces A & K Austin Presence
- Andrews Kurth Kenyon CLE | Antitrust Trends in the Technology IndustryJanuary 26, 2017
- Andrews Kurth After Party following the
EY Entrepreneur of the YearⓇ
Central Texas Awards Gala
- Special Reporting Requirements Regarding Exercises of Incentive Stock Options and Transfers of Stock Acquired under Employee Stock Purchase Plans (2017 Update)January 11, 2017
- Supreme Court Agrees to Hear Important Patent Venue AppealDecember 21, 2016
- Samsung v. Apple – The Supreme Court Limits Damages in Design Patent CasesDecember 19, 2016
- State and Local Governments Grapple with Challenges of New Limits on Antitrust State Action ImmunityDecember 1, 2016
- Breaking News: DOL’s Final Overtime Rule Halted By Texas Federal JudgeNovember 23, 2016