Darren S. Inoff
Darren's corporate and real estate practice involves a broad spectrum of local and national matters. With respect to his corporate practice, Darren focuses on the acquisition and sale of private companies in primarily the health care, energy, real estate and restaurant industries. He also counsels his clients on business formation issues, including choice of entities, and negotiates and drafts limited liability company agreements, limited partnership agreements and other organizational documents. His experience in the business transactions and corporate arena also includes private placement of securities and the negotiation of contribution agreements, merger/stock/asset purchase agreements and employment and non-competition agreements. His clients include private equity sponsors and their corresponding portfolio companies.
In addition to his corporate-related practice, Darren has substantial experience working on a wide range of real estate matters. He represents both landlords and tenants in commercial leasing of downtown and suburban office buildings, retail projects and industrial warehouses, and advises on the acquisition and disposition of both raw land and income producing properties. Darren offers comprehensive counsel on the development of office buildings, retail shopping centers, assisted living facilities, research and technology facilities, entertainment arenas, hotels, ambulatory surgery centers, cardiac catheterization labs and electric generating facilities. As part of the aforementioned areas, Darren works with a full array of construction law issues, including drafting and negotiating architectural service agreements, construction contracts, design/build agreements and development management agreements. He also handles construction and permanent loans, sale/leaseback, mezzanine financings and other structured financings. Darren also works on property management agreements.
- Represented Quintana Energy Partners, L.P., a $650 million private equity fund, in the acquisition of all of the assets of a directional drilling company valued at approximately $36 million.
- Represented a portfolio company of a private equity fund with approximately $400 million under management in the sale of stock to a corporation in a transaction valued at approximately $96 million.
- Represented National Cardiovascular Partners, LP in connection with the sale of equity in the company to a private equity investor located in Boston in a transaction valued at approximately $110 million.
- Represented Quantum Energy Partners, a private equity client with approximately $5 billion under management, in the formation of a portfolio company owning certain oil and gas assets. The transaction was valued at approximately $28 million.
- Represented National Cardiovascular Partners, LP in the development of ambulatory surgery centers and cardiac cath labs in 25 locations throughout Texas, California, Arizona, Kansas, Louisiana and Florida.
- Represented Sheridan Hills Developments LP in the sale of 51% of the equity in Life Science Plaza, a 334,937 square foot medical office building located in the Medical Center of Houston, Texas, to a newly formed REIT, controlled by the Alaska Permanent Fund.
Represented Plan B-MOB, LP in connection with the sale of an 84% general and limited partner interest in a 176,000 square foot, Class A, medical office building located in Houston, Texas to Healthcare Trust of America, Inc., a publicly-traded REIT.
- Represented a subsidiary of Enron Corp. in the acquisition and development of two downtown city blocks for 40-floor office building containing approximately 1,275,000 gross square feet of office space with parking garage accommodating approximately 1,300 automobiles. Also handled the negotiation of all development management agreements, architectural services agreements and construction contracts related to this project.
- Represented The Arena Group, LP in the acquisition of two office buildings and a theatre known as Arena Place I, Arena Place II and Arena Theatre in Houston, Texas, which includes twin 19-story office buildings containing 779,485 square feet of office space, a 2,850-seat performance arena and two adjacent nine-story parking garages.
Represented PinPoint Commercial, LP in the financing and development of 11 assisted living facilities in Texas, Georgia, New Mexico and Florida.
Represented Physicians Surgical Care, Inc. in the acquisition, development and operation of seven ambulatory surgery centers located in five states and their subsequent merger with Symbion Acquisition Sub, Inc., a wholly owned subsidiary of Symbion, Inc. to create a company which owns and operates 27 surgery centers and manages eight surgery centers and three physician networks in approximately 15 states.
Represented High Plains Surgery Center, LP, an ambulatory surgery center located in Lubbock, Texas, in connection with its merger with Lubbock Surgery Center, an ambulatory surgery center also located in Lubbock, Texas to form an entity owned by approximately 40 physician investors, Covenant Health System and National Cardiovascular Partners, LP.
- Represented Custom Pipe & Coupling Co., Inc. in the acquisition of 100% of the stock in K&K Supply, Inc.
Represented Specialty Therapeutic Care, LP, a specialty pharmaceutical company, in connection with the sale of 80% of the equity in the company to Enhanced Equity Fund, LP, a private equity fund based in New York.
- Represented River Oaks Imaging and Diagnostic, L.P. in the development and operation of 10 medical imaging and diagnostic centers located in Texas.
- Represented Enron North America Corp. in the greenfield development of (i) 485 MW Merchant Power Plant located in Brownsville, Tennessee, (ii) 485 MW Merchant Power Plant located in New Albany, Mississippi and (iii) 485 MW Merchant Power Plant located in Caledonia, Mississippi.
- Represented USAA Real Estate Company, as landlord and developer, in a build-to-suit transaction with Igloo Products Corp., as tenant, in connection with a 914,195 square foot corporate office, manufacturing and warehouse facility that will serve as a headquarters for Igloo.
- Represented NextStage Entertainment Corporation in the acquisition and development of approximately 25 acres of land in Grand Prairie, Texas for 6,200-seat multi-purposed performing arts arena.
- Represented Post Oak Central, Ltd. in the sale of three-building office complex located in the Galleria area of Houston, Texas, consisting of approximately 1,200,000 square feet.
- Represented Public Storage, Inc. in the acquisition from Prudential-Bache/Watson & Taylor Ltd. of 32 self-storage facilities in Texas, Oklahoma, New Jersey, Arkansas, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia and Maryland.
- Represented various landlords of more than 8,000,000 million square feet of office and industrial space in Texas, California, Louisiana and Missouri.
- Represented PG&E Gas Transmission, Texas Corporation, as tenant, in the negotiation with 1100 Louisiana Limited Partnership, as landlord, of a 227,000-square-foot office lease in the Central Business District of Houston, Texas.
- Who’s Who in Law, Real Estate, Houston Business Journal (2015)
- Profiled as one of the leading Real Estate (2012-2016) lawyers in Texas, Chambers & Partners USA: America's Leading Business Lawyers
- Profiled as one of “Texas’ Top Rated Lawyers” by ALM in Real Estate (2012)
- Profiled as one of the leading Real Estate (2011) lawyers, The US Legal 500
- Texas Rising Star, Texas Monthly (2004, 2005, 2008)
- Energy Transactions
- Health Care
- Real Estate
- Technology and Emerging Companies
- Venture Capital
- Project Finance
- Real Estate
- Real Estate Finance/Capital Markets
- Technology and Emerging Companies
- JD, 1993, with honors, The University of Texas School of Law
- BA, 1990, summa cum laude, Economics, The University of Texas at Austin, Phi Beta Kappa
- Texas 1993
- Houston Bar Association, Real Estate Section
- State Bar of Texas
- 8/29/2016Andrews Kurth Elects 2016-2017 Policy Committee
- 5/27/2016Andrews Kurth Receives High Marks from 2016 Chambers & Partners USA Guide
- 8/25/2015Andrews Kurth Elects 2015-2016 Policy Committee
- 5/19/2015Andrews Kurth Receives High Marks from 2015 Chambers & Partners USA Guide
- 8/25/2014Andrews Kurth Elects 2014-2015 Policy Committee