Matt has broad experience in employment, personal injury, commercial and fiduciary litigation. He practices in both state and federal courts, and he handles litigation at both the trial and appellate levels. Matt also handles matters involving the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission, the Occupational Safety and Health Administration, the Texas Workforce Commission and the U.S. Department of Labor. Matt advises and represents employers, boards of directors, and senior officers and managers concerning all types of employment and litigation matters.
Matt also represents clients in common and fiduciary litigation. Although Matt typically represents clients in Texas, he has also handled matters and cases in California, Indiana, Louisiana, Florida, West Virginia, Arizona, New York, Oklahoma, New Mexico and Illinois.
- Represented and defended a large financial services company against a multimillion-dollar breach of fiduciary duty claim brought by a business partner
- Represented and defended a mortgage brokerage company against claims of fraud, breach of contract and RICO liability brought in multiple lawsuits arising out of the financing of thousands of home purchases
- Assembled and led a response team of attorneys that were on site within hours of plant/factory catastrophes and coordinated and handled subsequent interactions with the Occupational Safety and Health Administration and other federal and state investigatory agencies, and provided legal guidance with respect to investigating the cause of a catastrophe, bringing the plant/factory back on line, and managing the administrative and judicial proceedings that followed
- Helped to negotiate a nationwide settlement of workplace safety violation claims brought by OSHA against an aerospace company that provides contract services to the U.S. Department of the Army at various forts and other locations throughout the United States
- Represented and defended a nationwide equipment rental company against multiple employment discrimination and personal injury claims brought by employees and third parties
- Represented the owners of an engineering, seismic and undersea services company in securing multimillion-dollar settlements of their claims concerning the earn-out payments owed to them under an asset sales agreement
- Represented and defended the principal of a large, family-owned real estate and hospitality business against claims of sexual harassment and retaliation
- Represented and defended a nationwide point of sale and retail service company in a Class A action under the Fair Labor and Standards Act
- Represented and defended a publicly traded logistical services company in a wrongful discharge and retaliation lawsuit
- Negotiated the employment aspects of numerous acquisitions and related deals
Matt has been a speaker and panelist at various seminars, workshops and forums dealing with litigation and with labor and employment law issues.
- JD, 1985, University of Houston Law Center, Houston Law Review, Editor (1983-1985), Order of the Barons
- AB, 1982, with honors, College of William & Mary
- Texas 1985
- Houston Bar Association
- American Bar Association