Rob Hoffman is a highly sought-after trial lawyer, helping clients in major exposure lawsuits around the U.S. A senior in-house counsel at a publicly traded company said, "I had the pleasure of working with Rob on a complex commercial matter involving multi-jurisdictional issues and international parties. As in-house litigation counsel for a large publicly traded company, I work with many lawyers but rarely encounter attorneys who excel both at high level strategy and court room mastery. Rob is a clear exception."
Rob represents clients across the United States in all aspects of complex litigation, including disputes arising from mergers and acquisitions; disputes over representations and warranties; contract breach; fraud; construction; ERISA, health benefits, and plan benefits administration; insurance coverage and bad faith claims; and class action suits. Rob looks at each case as a collection of puzzle pieces, with the fervent confidence that there’s always a way for the pieces to successfully come together in his clients' favor. The proof: Rob has won virtually every case he’s handled over the last decade, whether by a favorable jury verdict, dispositive motion, or settlement for a few pennies on the dollar.
Rob has served as General Counsel of The General Counsel Forum, an association consisting of approximately 700 general counsel and managing counsel, for the past 15 years. He is also a member of the Forum’s Board of Directors and its Executive Committee.
From 2013 through the present, Rob has been acknowledged by The Best Lawyers in America in the area of Commercial Litigation. He was also recognized as one of the Top 15 Corporate Defenders in the Dallas/Fort Worth area in 2010 by the Dallas Business Journal. Furthermore, D Magazine named Rob one of The Best Lawyers in Dallas. His talent as a commercial litigator has earned Rob recognition in Texas Super Lawyers each year since its inception in 2003, and has earned him recognition in Super Lawyers in the separate Corporate Counsel edition.
The Dallas Morning News included Rob’s business-related advice columns each week for several years, and he has authored and presented many legal articles, including a series regarding legal ethics for practitioners that appeared in Texas Lawyer.
- Co-Author with Christopher W. Martin, "Ready for Trial: Lessons Learned from Successfully Defending Large and Medium Insurance Cases," Texas Bar CLE's 11th Annual Advanced Insurance Law Course (April-June 2014).
- Co-Author with Richard O. Faulk and Diana P. Larson, "Effective Challenges to Unreliable Expert Opinions," Tex. Law., June 4, 2007.
- Co-Author with Richard O. Faulk, "Avoiding and Exploiting ‘Analytical Gaps’ in Expert Testimony," 6:3 Expert Evidence Rep., BNA (Feb. 6, 2006).
- Co-Author with William E. Matthews and Dan Scott, "Conflicting Loyalties Facing In-House Counsel: Ethical Care and Feeding of the Ravenous Multi-Headed Client," St. Mary's L.J. (2006).
- Co-Author, "Beyond Daubert and Robinson: Avoiding and Exploiting ‘Analytical Gaps’ in Expert Testimony," The Advoc., St. B. Tex. Litig. Sec. Rep. (Winter 2005).
- Co-Author, "Recovering Lost Profits for Startup Companies," The Value Examiner (November/December 2005).
- Co-Author, "Recovering Lost Profits for Startup Companies: A Balancing Test," 4:7 Nat'l Litig. Consultants' Rev. (December 2004).
- Co-Author with J. Palazzo, "The Art of Peace: Tort Reform’s New Settlement Scheme," The App. Advoc., 17:2 St. B. Tex. App. Sec. Rep. (Fall 2004).
- Author, "Reduce Legal Costs by 40 percent. A Cure for Every Company’s Common Cold," Tex. B.J. (March 2002).
- Author, "Deceptive Trade Practices and Commercial Torts," Sw. L.J. (a publication of Dedman School of Law, SMU).
- Author, "Ethical Considerations and Malpractice Prevention for the Trial Lawyer, How to Offer and Exclude Evidence Seminar," University of Houston Law Foundation.
- Co-Author, "The HIPAA Privacy Answer Book for TPAs."
- Co-Author, "Privacy Issues," Ft. Worth Bus. Press (November 2002).
- Co-Author, "The Outsiders," Tex. Law.
- Co-Author, "The Statute of Limitations in Legal-Malpractice Claims," Tex. Law.
- Co-Author, "Referrals Don’t Always Pay Off," Tex. Law.
- Co-Author, "Beware of the Hazards of Contingent-Fee Cases," Tex. Law.
In The News
- Guest Commentator, NewsRadio 1080 KRLD, CBS DFW (March 4, 2013)
- Guest Commentator, Nightly Business Report, PBS (2007)
- Instructor, Damages Recoveries for Major Accounting Firm Seminar (November 2003)
- Instructor, "Employee Fraud, Theft and Embezzlement: Prevention and Detection," Lorman Education Services Seminar, Dallas, Texas
- Instructor, "Ethical Considerations and Malpractice Prevention," Family Law Seminar, University of Houston, Houston, Texas
- Interview, "National Privacy Act," CBS Television Affiliate, Dallas (October 2002)
- Quoted, "National Privacy Issues," Ft. Worth Star-Telegram (February 2003; April 2003)
- Quoted, "Privacy Issues," Ft. Worth Star-Telegram (October 2002)
- Quoted, "National Litigation Trends," Corp. Legal Times (April 2002; September 2002)
- Moderator for Panel of Four General Counsel: Association of Corporate Counsel's Annual Chief Legal Officer Forum: Best Practices in Crisis Management (February 2016)
- Moderator for Panel of Three General Counsel: Corporate Policyholders’ Most Common Insurance Questions and How to Answer Them, 20th Annual Insurance Law Institute, University of Texas School of Law Insurance Law Section of the State Bar of Texas (November 2015)
- Speaker, "Mock Trials and Shadow Juries, When and How to Include in Your Litigation Management Strategy," presented to Allianz Global Corporate & Specialty (December 16, 2014).
- Speaker, "Proven Methods to Avoid Texas Bad Faith Liability," presented to Fireman's Fund Insurance Company (September 23, 2014).
- Panelist, 11th Annual Advanced Insurance Law Course 2014: "Ready for Trial: Lessons Learned from Successfully Prosecuting and Defending Insurance Cases," Houston (April 24, 2014).
- Co-Speaker with David J. Schubert, Address at the 16th Annual Insurance Law Institute: "The Independent Injury Rule – Can Denied Policy Benefits Be Trebled as Damages under Texas Insurance Code Chapter 541?" (November 4, 2011).
- Speaker, Address at the St. Mary’s University Law Journal Fifth Annual Symposium on Legal Malpractice and Professional Responsibility: "Conflicting Loyalties Facing In-House Counsel: Ethical Care and Feeding of the Ravenous MultiHeaded Client" (February 24, 2006).
- Speaker, Address at AICPA: Recovering Lost Profits for Startup Companies A Balancing Test (September 2004).
- Speaker, Address at Milkie/Ferguson Investments Inc.: Broker-Customer Disputes.
- The Best Lawyers in America, Commercial Litigation (2013-2017) and Insurance Law (2017)
- Top 15 Corporate Defenders in Dallas/Fort Worth, Dallas Business Journal (2010)
- Recognized among the "Best Lawyers" in Dallas in Business Litigation, D Magazine (2011, 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017)
- Top Attorney in Business Litigation in the U.S., Super Lawyers Magazine (Business Edition) (2008-2011)
- Texas Super Lawyer in Business Litigation, Texas Monthly (each year since its first publication in 2003)
- National Registry of Who's Who
- AV® Preeminent™ 5.0 out of 5 Peer Review Rated, MartindaleHubbell® PEER REVIEW RATINGS™
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Managed Care and ERISA
- Professional Liability
- Securities and Shareholder Litigation
- JD, 1981, Southern Methodist University Dedman School of Law, Member, National Moot Court Team
- BBS, 1978, with honors, The University of Texas at Austin
- Member, BBVA Compass Bank Advisory Board
- General Counsel and Board Member, The General Counsel Forum
- Board Member, Darkness to Light
- Fellow, American Bar Foundation
- Fellow, State Bar of Texas
- Former Board Member, United Way of Metropolitan Dallas
- Former Chairman, March of Dimes Board, Dallas
- Former Board Member, Community Services Branch of the Dallas YMCA
- Former President, Dallas Bar Securities Section
- Former Member, Texas Center for Legal Ethics and Professionalism
- 4/21/2017Ten Andrews Kurth Kenyon Partners Named 2017 Best Lawyers in Dallas
- 9/6/201639 Andrews Kurth Lawyers Named in Texas Super Lawyers 2016
- 8/15/201653 Andrews Kurth Lawyers Named Best Lawyers in America 2017
- 4/22/2016Seven Andrews Kurth Partners Named 2016 Best Lawyers in Dallas
- 9/8/201537 Andrews Kurth Lawyers Named in Texas Super Lawyers 2015