Thomas W. Taylor
Co-chair of the Firm’s Litigation Section, Tom's civil litigation practice emphasizes defense of mass multi-party litigation. He has extensive civil jury trial experience in state and federal court, with in excess of thirty jury verdicts, and a much greater number of cases that settled during trial. His specific experience includes defending mass tort cases, commercial litigation, commercial arbitrations and personal injury cases. Tom has significant experience in multi-district litigation on both the state and Federal level. He represents defendants in Federal MDLs 875, 2179 and 2185. He also represents defendants in the Texas Asbestos MDL and the Texas Silica MDL.
Tom also has a substantial civil appellate litigation practice. He has presented oral arguments before the Texas Supreme Court, the Courts of Appeals for the First, Fifth, Sixth, Ninth, Thirteenth and Fourteenth Districts of Texas, and the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit.
- Regional counsel for major oil company in toxic tort, chemical exposure, and personal injury litigation.
- Local Texas counsel for defendant in personal injury, property damage and economic loss cases arising out of deepwater drilling rig failure, subsequent fire and explosion, and resulting oil spill.
- Local counsel for defendant in Federal MDL created to handle securities class actions, shareholder derivative suits, and ERISA cases allegedly arising out of deepwater drilling rig failure, fire, explosion and oil spill.
- Trial counsel for major civilian and military aircraft manufacturer in Texas Open Records Act case.
- Trial counsel for major oil company in employee wrongful death action alleging toxic exposure.
- Co-trial counsel for subsidiary of major manufacturer of commercial aircraft in arbitration brought by former joint venture affiliate.
- Profiled as one of the leading Product Liability, Mass Tort and Class Action: Toxic Tort Defense (2016) lawyers in the United States, The US Legal 500
- Recognized as a "Local Litigation Star" in Texas by Benchmark Litigation (2014-2017)
- Texas Super Lawyer in General Litigation, Texas Monthly (2012, 2014-2016)
- Class Action Litigation
- Commercial Litigation
- Environmental Disputes, Contested Proceedings and Litigation
- Environmental Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Mass Tort
- Products Liability
- JD, 1982, The University of Texas School of Law, Order of Barristers, Board of Advocates, Winner and Best Oral Advocate, Hildebrand Moot Court Competition (1982)
- BA, 1979, magna cum laude, Political Science, Texas Christian University, Dean's List, Pi Sigma Alpha, Dave C. Reed Scholarship for Academic Achievement, House of Student Representatives, Intercollegiate Debate Team
- Texas 1982
- England & Wales (Registered Foreign Lawyer) 2013
- US Supreme Court
- US Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- US District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Eastern District of Texas
- US District Court for the Western District of Texas
- Houston Bar Association
- State Bar of Texas
- Texas Association of Defense Counsel
- Defense Research Institute
- 11/7/2016Andrews Kurth Kenyon Litigation Practice Recognized as Highly Recommended by 2017 Benchmark Litigation
- 9/6/201639 Andrews Kurth Lawyers Named in Texas Super Lawyers 2016
- 8/29/2016Andrews Kurth Elects 2016-2017 Policy Committee
- 6/20/2016The 2016 Legal 500 Guide Ranks Andrews Kurth in 14 Practice Areas
- 11/9/2015Andrews Kurth Litigation Practice Recognized as Highly Recommended by 2016 Benchmark Litigation