A Powerful Energy Practice
The energy industry by its nature is complex, and so are its legal matters. Businesses that explore, develop, produce, store, market, transport and process energy resources are among the most capital intensive in the world. Energy industry transactions – from business combinations to raising capital – are high stakes and high impact.
Andrews Kurth has maintained a preeminent reputation in the global energy industry for more than a century, with a successful track record of depth and breadth that few other firms can match. We monitor trends in the industry and consider our in-depth, current knowledge, vast experience and problem-solving approach to be differentiating factors between Andrews Kurth and other firms. Our energy practice draws upon the firm’s full global resources and strengths:
- More than 200 of our lawyers form a highly effective global energy practice
- Andrews Kurth is headquartered in Houston, Texas, the epicenter of the energy industry
- A global network of energy attorneys across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia
- In 2015 alone, the dollar value of energy-related deals for which Andrews Kurth provided legal counsel exceeded $70 billion
- Andrews Kurth was involved in the creation of the first Master Limited Partnership (MLP) in the early 1980s, and we have remained a market leader in MLPs due to our deep experience in addressing the complex partnership, securities, tax and business issues associated with creating, governing and growing an MLP
We have advised clients on mergers and acquisitions, asset acquisitions and divestitures, capital market and commercial bank financing of all types, state and federal regulatory matters, tax matters, litigation, corporate issues (including board and committee counseling, and white collar and regulatory enforcement), reorganizations and restructurings, project development and financing, securitizations and structured financing, strategic joint ventures, and matters involving intellectual property issues. Our clients include many of the largest and most successful publicly traded and private companies in the energy industry, including:
- Apache Corporation
- Basic Energy Services, Inc.
- Cheniere Energy, Inc.
- Chevron U.S.A. Inc.
- Crestwood Equity Partners LP and Crestwood Midstream Partners LP
- Duke Energy Corporation
- Eni US Operating Co. Inc.
- EOG Resources, Inc.
- Energy Transfer Partners, L.P.
- Enterprise Products Partners L.P.
- Fourpoint Holdings, LLC
- Hercules Offshore, Inc.
- Hilcorp Energy Company
- Newfield Exploration
- ONEOK, Inc. and ONEOK Partners, L.P.
- Pattern Energy Group LP
- Petrobras America Inc.
- Quantum Utility Generation, LLC
- Rowan Companies plc
- SemGroup Corporation and Rose Rock Midstream, L.P.
- Tapstone Energy LLC
- The Williams Companies, Inc.
Influential In The Industry
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice is consistently recognized among the best in the legal industry, with regular top rankings from Bloomberg, Thomson Financial, Chambers and Partners (USA, Latin America and Global), Legal 500, the SEC New Registrants Report, The American Lawyer Corporate Scorecard, the Deal Makers Law Awards, Benchmark Litigation and Best Law Firms by U.S. News and World Report.
Andrews Kurth’s energy practice has thrived with landmark deals and impressive results for our clients:
- Represented Enterprise Products Partners L.P. in its acquisition and subsequent merger of Oiltanking Partners, L.P. for a total value of $6.1 billion.
- Successfully defended a $43 million claim against client Plains Exploration & Production Co. by a prior owner of oil leases off the California coast.
- Represented underwriters Goldman Sachs and Barclays Capital in the initial public offering of oil and gas pipeline company Kinder Morgan, Inc. This represented the largest private equity-backed IPO in United States history.
- Represented Cheniere Energy Partners, L.P. in the financing of trains 1-5 of its Sabine Pass Liquefaction LLC LNG export project, comprising approximately $14 billion of project finance debt and approximately $2 billion of equity.
- Challenged a jury verdict on behalf of long-standing firm client, BP Corporation North America Inc., in a case involving an alleged chemical release at one of BP’s refineries. The district court rendered a decision striking the plaintiff’s $100 million punitive damage award in its entirety.
- Advised Frontier Oil Corporation in its merger with Holly Corporation to form the fourth largest independent oil refiner in the United States.
- Represented Apache Corporation in its $3.5 billion acquisition of Mariner Energy, marking Apache’s first major entrance into the deepwater Gulf of Mexico.
- Advised Sinopec, China's largest oil company and Asia's largest oil refiner, in a transaction with Occidental Petroleum Corporation (Oxy) for the acquisition by Sinopec of Oxy's Argentine oil and gas business, including 23 concessions located in three Argentine provinces. Andrews Kurth and the Argentine firm of Alfaro Abogados advised Sinopec on the transaction.
- Served as primary development counsel and primary finance counsel to international energy companies, AEI and Pattern Energy Group LP, for the $245 million development and financing of Parque Eólico El Arrayán SpA’s 115 MW wind power project in Chile.
- Counseled Cordillera Energy Partners III, LLC in its $3.1 billion acquisition by Apache Corporation. The combination of the two companies’ Western Anadarko position created a platform for a multi-decade development program in a variety of horizontal targets.
- Secured a significant verdict for Oklahoma City-based Devon Energy in a trade secret and computer fraud case against a former employee.
- Successful representation of a major international oil and gas exploration company and certain of its joint interests partners in an ICDR Rules arbitration over the sharing of costs of the design, engineering, fabrication, transportation, installation, commissioning and operation of a multibillion-dollar floating offshore production facility in the Gulf of Mexico.
Energy In All Its Forms
Our attorneys have experience in all areas of the energy industry, including:
- Oil and Gas—As counselors to domestic and international oil and gas leaders, we use our experience in all facets of the oil and gas industry to guide a range of clients upstream, midstream and downstream.
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)—When counseling top sponsors, advisors and lenders in LNG projects and financings, Andrews Kurth brings technical experience to bridge the gap between all parties. We counsel on both the investment and the industry side of sophisticated LNG transactions and associated regulatory guidance.
- Alternative Energy—We are a leading firm in renewable energy fuels, power, regulation, investment and environmental trading. Our lawyers get deals done by helping clients navigate the complexities of renewable energy projects and maximize available tax, financial and environmental credits and incentives for biofuels, clean energy, solar energy and wind energy.
- Electric—Andrews Kurth represents the owners and developers of electricity projects in all aspects of acquisition and development of their projects as well as representing participants in the electric industry before both the Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) and state public utility commissions. Our broad experience includes navigating the wide array of contracts, statutes and regulations that affect our clients.
- Alternative Energy
- Clean Technology
- Energy Regulatory
- Energy Services
- Energy Technology
- Energy Transactions
- Federal Regulatory
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Maritime and Offshore Drilling
- Natural Gas
- Oil and Gas
- Real Estate
- Solar Energy
- State Regulatory
- Antitrust Litigation
- Bankruptcy and Financial Restructuring
- Central Asia/China
- Economic Recovery and Government Opportunities
- Energy Disputes and Litigation
- Equity and Debt Capital Markets
- Intellectual Property and Technology
- Investment Funds
- Labor and Employment
- Latin America/Caribbean
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Master Limited Partnerships (MLPs)
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- MLP Lending and Finance
- Oil and Gas Disputes
- Private Equity
- Products Liability
- Project Finance
- Real Estate
- South Asia
- Structured Finance and Securitization
- Technology and Emerging Companies
- Transactional Tax
- Venture Capital
- White Collar and Regulatory Enforcement
Recognized as a Tier 1 Energy Law practice in the United States
Recognized as a Tier 1 Oil & Gas Law practice in the United States
Recognized as a Tier 1 Energy Law practice in Houston
#6 in Top Law Firms on Out-of-Court Restructuring Deals, Counsel to Distressed Company, First Half 2016
Recognized as a Leading Core Firm in the Energy Industry
- 1/31/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Anticipates Year of Transformation for Egyptian Energy Sector
- 11/1/2016Andrews Kurth Kenyon Named Among Best Law Firms for 2017
- 9/23/2016Andrews Kurth Kenyon Recognized in 2016 Legal 500 Latin America Guide
- 6/20/2016The 2016 Legal 500 Guide Ranks Andrews Kurth in 14 Practice Areas
- 5/27/2016Andrews Kurth Receives High Marks from 2016 Chambers & Partners USA Guide
- Renewable Energy Law Conference: Presented by the University of Texas School of Law and The Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of TexasJanuary 31, 2017
- Regulatory Due Diligence Issues in Energy Financing–Renewable Energy Law Conference: Presented by the University of Texas School of Law and The Oil, Gas and Energy Resources Law Section of the State Bar of TexasJanuary 31, 2017
- 4th ITA-IEL-ICC Joint Conference on International Energy ArbitrationJanuary 12, 2017
- Rice Alliance – 14th Annual Energy and Clean Technology Venture ForumSeptember 15, 2016
- Energy Bar Association HoustonJuly 20, 2016
- Cybersecurity Due Diligence Is Crucial in All M&A—Including Energy M&A TransactionsNovember 14, 2016
- The DOJ Continues to Incentivize Corporate Self-Disclosure… This Time, Export ControlNovember 2, 2016
- Shale Oil & Gas in Mexico: On the Market in 2017?October 27, 2016
- DOJ and SEC Find Advance Due Diligence and Robust Compliance Program Shield Purchasing Company in FCPA-Stained TransactionOctober 3, 2016
- US Once Again a “Safe Harbor” for European Data with Launch of EU-US Privacy ShieldSeptember 15, 2016