Intellectual Property and Technology
For more than a century, our firm has provided in-depth legal advice to help move our clients’ businesses forward. Today, more than ever, intellectual property is at the heart of the most pressing issues for many businesses. Whether it is securing the intellectual property rights needed to fully protect your investments in research and development, technology, branding or information services or navigating your business through the intellectual property thicket presented by your competition, our team of nearly 90 IP lawyers, litigators and patent agents has the technical, legal and business experience to guide your business efficiently and effectively.
To help your business maximize its investment in intellectual property assets and minimize exposure to third party IP threats, our firm provides a comprehensive range of intellectual property services, including:
- Trade Secret/Trade Dress
- IP Counseling and Licensing
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
We are consistently called upon by our clients to understand their needs and requirements, and execute strategies to help increase the effectiveness and value of our clients’ business and goals. We aim to work with our clients to increase their visibility in the marketplace. Whether our clients’ business is local to the United States, or extends to numerous jurisdictions throughout the world, our clients rely on us to ensure that their technical and scientific assets, technology and other intellectual property are protected.
Our attorneys and patent agents have extensive experience developing patent portfolios and assisting clients in developing effective strategies for the development and protection of intellectual property. The majority of our attorneys hold undergraduate and/or graduate degrees in science or engineering, and many of our lawyers have also worked in our clients’ industries as in-house counsel, scientists or engineers. We understand the products, business and industry implications of our clients’ innovations.
Using our experience, the Intellectual Property and Technology team members have:
- Secured patent protection for over 56,000 complex technologies and innovations.
- Obtained trademark and copyright protection for over 33,500 products, brands and creative works, including over 17,800 non-U.S. registrations.
- Achieved a record of wins in the leading jurisdictions for intellectual property litigation, including the Northern, Eastern, Southern and Western Districts of Texas; the District of Delaware; the Northern, Central and Southern Districts of California; the Eastern District of Virginia; Maryland; the Southern District of New York; the District of New Jersey; and the Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit.
- Initiated or defended over 50 actions before the International Trade Commission.
- Developed a strong focus on building a comprehensive cross-border IP practice in Asian markets, including China and Taiwan, Europe and Israel addressing both inbound and outbound matters.
- Assisted clients to conduct a global assessment of their IP assets and devise the best plan for managing and protecting their investments and their bottom line, whether by revising internal processes and improving safeguards, conducting internal and external market assessments to identify opportunities within their existing portfolio or devising plans to sell assets that no longer make sense.
We believe that establishing client teams of best-suited attorneys and professionals who understand each client’s focus, strategy and business is the most effective approach to achieve their goals. Understanding our clients’ respective industries is the linchpin of the team's foundation, which is why clients value our counsel.
Our team not only has the necessary in-depth legal acumen needed to help resolve your most complex intellectual property issues, but our lawyers also have the industry experience needed to fully understand the business objectives underlying those issues. We work with clients in the following industries:
- Computer Hardware and Software
- Financial Services
- Food and Beverage
- Interactive Entertainment
- Life Sciences
- Media, Entertainment and Sports
- Medical Devices
- Private Equity
- Universities and Research Institutions
- Venture Capital
Our Global Reach
Andrews Kurth Kenyon has a robust international intellectual property and technology practice, serving clients across the Americas, Europe, the Middle East and Asia. Our global capabilities and service-oriented culture allow us to help protect our clients’ interests. We offer a full range of IP services in a wide variety of industries and technologies, including apparel, automotive, computer software and hardware, energy, food and beverage, life sciences, manufacturing, retail and wholesale distribution, and sports and entertainment, among others. We have a strong network of counsel outside the United States who work hand-in-hand with us on our international trademark and copyright practice, filing and prosecuting trademarks, managing global portfolios, handling international audits, and protecting and enforcing our clients’ trademarks and copyrights across the globe. Our patent team also has strong relationships with attorneys in jurisdictions throughout the world, and has filed and prosecuted patent applications under the Patent Cooperation Treaty, Paris Convention, Asean Treaty, Madrid Protocol, and Berne Convention, among others. We have developed global patent strategies and managed portfolios for clients in Europe, Australia, South America, North America, Africa and Asia. In fact, our Silicon Valley office was established not only to provide unparalleled service to our technology clients, but also to offer a bridge to clients in China, Japan, Korea and across Asia.
In the litigation arena, we recognize that for many of our clients, U.S. litigation is only one aspect of a more global dispute. We plan, coordinate and manage litigations in multiple jurisdictions to ensure that our clients’ strategic assets are not adversely affected by proceedings in other jurisdictions. We have developed relationships with counsel across the globe to present the most effective and consistent claims and defenses, and coordinate multinational disputes. Our attorneys have a winning record before the International Trade Commission, a key venue for clients involved with products imported into the United States. In fact, we published the definitive work on ITC proceedings. We also have a strong track record representing global clients in proceedings before the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office and other administrative agencies, as well as in patent, trademark and copyright infringement cases before the U.S. district and appellate courts. We provide our global clients with the full spectrum of international property services, including strategic counseling; licensing; copyright, trademark and patent protection and enforcement; patent and trademark portfolio management; unfair competition and trade secrets; technology transfer; advising on the intellectual property aspects of mergers and acquisitions and related transactions; and defending and prosecuting patent, trademark and copyright infringement matters.
- Clean Technology
- Energy Technology
- Life Sciences
- Manufacturing and Sales
- Private Equity
- Solar Energy
- Technology and Emerging Companies
- Copyright Litigation
- Data Privacy and Cybersecurity
- Intellectual Property Litigation
- IP Counseling and Licensing
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Patent Litigation
- Patent Prosecution
- Patent Trial and Appeal Board Proceedings
- Securing and Maintaining Trademarks and Brand Names
- Trade Secret/Trade Dress Litigation
- Trade Secrets/Trade Dress
- Trademark Proceedings and Litigation
Recognized as a Recommended Copyright Practice in the United States, IP Stars
Recognized as a Recommended Bio/Life Sciences Practice in the United States, IP Stars
Recognized as a Recommended International Trade Commission Practice in the United States, IP Stars
Recognized as a Recommended Patent (Contentious) Practice in the United States, IP Stars
Recognized as a Recommended Patent Prosecution Practice in the United States, IP Stars
- 4/24/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Lawyers Named in Washington, DC Super Lawyers and Rising Stars 2017
- 3/8/2017Andrews Kurth Lawyers Recognized as 2017 Texas Rising Stars
- 2/9/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Intellectual Property Partner James Rosini Recognized in 2017 Client Choice Awards
- 2/1/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Receives High Marks from World Trademark Review 1000 2017
- 1/24/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon Successfully Represents The Jewelry Channel in Patent Infringement Case
- IAM IPBC Global Conference 2017June 18, 2017
- 15th Annual Rocky Mountain Intellectual Property & Technology Law InstituteJune 2, 2017
- 33rd Annual Joint Patent PracticeApril 27, 2017
- Austin IPLA Annual Judges’ DinnerApril 12, 2017
- New York Intellectual Property Law Association 95th Annual Dinner in Honor of the Federal JudiciaryMarch 31, 2017
- Opinions of Counsel Once Again Key to Avoiding Enhanced DamagesApril 27, 2017
- Sometimes Two Meetings Aren’t Better than None: The Texas Supreme Court Clarifies the Circumstances Giving Rise to Personal JurisdictionApril 7, 2017
- The Supreme Court Holds that Laches Can No Longer Be Used as a Defense Against Damages Claims in Patent Cases Brought within the Patent Act’s Six-Year Limitations PeriodMarch 24, 2017
- Give Me a ©!: Supreme Court Holds that Copyright Protects Decorative Elements of Useful ArticlesMarch 24, 2017
- Life Technologies Corp. v. Promega Corp.: Exportation of a Single Component is Not Subject to Patent Liability Under Section 271(f)(1) of the Patent ActMarch 7, 2017