Our Africa group comprises lawyers located across the globe in our Beijing, Dubai, London and Houston offices. This global presence means that we are well placed to advise Asian, European, Middle Eastern and North American-based clients on their investments and disputes in Africa as well as locally-based clients on transactions and disputes arising within their jurisdictions.
Our lawyers have assisted investors, major internationals, independent exploration and production companies and national oil companies, among others, with their energy transactional and dispute resolution needs throughout the continent, including in:
- North Africa, including Egypt and Libya
- Energy-rich West African countries such as Ghana, Benin and Nigeria
- Central African nations like Angola, Chad and the Republic of Congo
- Emerging oil and gas provinces in East Africa, from Uganda to Mozambique
We assist our clients in dealing with the complex requirements of both local and regional legal systems regarding mergers and acquisitions, concessions, joint venture arrangements, infrastructure and energy development projects and related project financing. Our lawyers are also well versed in dealing with trade sanctions and compliance regimes, and have worked in a wide range of legal systems (including both common law and civil law jurisdictions).
We have a diverse team of lawyers who have both the legal and business experience (including extensive background as in-house counsel to energy companies) to provide pragmatic advice to our clients on often complex deals in Africa. The lawyers in our Africa group speak a number of different languages.
We have excellent relationships with leading law firms in the key centres of commerce across Africa and work effectively with local counsel to provide a seamless service to our clients.
Lawyers in our Africa group advise on:
Upstream & Midstream Energy: We counsel on both the investment and the industry side of sophisticated oil and gas transactions in the Middle East, during development as well as the operational phases of projects. We advise on host country requirements concerning direct investment and local content and provide guidance on the applicable local laws and regulatory environment. Our advice includes negotiating and drafting concessions and production sharing agreements, seismic licenses, drilling contracts, pooling and unitization agreements, joint operating agreements, farm-out agreements, and natural gas and crude oil sales agreements. Our experience includes:
- The government on a model form production sharing agreement for an East African state
- A contractor on a joint operating agreement in Tunisia
- An E&P company on a farmout agreement in Algeria
- An E&P company on a production sharing agreement in Tanzania
- A contractor in relation to a production sharing agreement in Guinea-Bissau
LNG: Our team benefits from experience in every phase of the LNG chain from initial gas production, gathering and processing to liquefaction, shipment, regasification, storage, transportation and marketing.
Renewable Energy: Andrews Kurth advises on the development of renewable energy projects, including power purchase and energy hedging arrangements, real estate matters, interconnection arrangements, major equipment purchase contracts, construction contracts and operation and maintenance agreements. We have particularly active practices advising on solar and wind projects. Our experience helps clients ensure that ownership and deal structures and contractual provisions are maximized, coordinated and financeable. Our experience includes:
- A government authority in grid unbundling matters, including preparation of PPA template and supplementary agreements for the direct sale of energy and capacity by solar and wind generators to high-credit off-takers
- A developer in relation to the development of a 50MW photovoltaic (PV) power plant in Benban, Egypt
- A developer in relation to the development of a 50MW CSP plant in South Africa
Infrastructure: We have a multi-disciplinary infrastructure practice advising governments, sponsors and construction companies in several sectors, including energy, power, water, and transport. We support clients in project structuring, risk allocation and evaluating the bankability needed to bring a project to market. We are one of the leading firms in advising on major project contracts, including construction contracts, operation and maintenance agreements, major equipment procurement contracts, and offtake agreements. Our experience includes:
- EPC negotiations for an LNG terminal in Nigeria
- EPC contracts for a desalination plant in Algeria
- Bid advice for a desalination project in South Africa
Project Finance: We represent sponsors, developers and lenders in financing a wide range of projects. We provide the legal support needed to structure, document and implement financing for major projects in sectors such as power, energy and social infrastructure.
Our experience includes:
- A developer in relation to the financing of a 100MW CSP project. This project will, when completed, be one of the world’s largest Solar Tower projects and the financing of the project is a landmark for projects in sub-Saharan Africa in terms of the diversity of the lending group (which includes international development banks, international commercial banks and local commercial banks).
- A South Africa-based developer and borrower in connection with the development and project financing of 100MW solar project
- A developer in relation to the financing of the 50MW Bokpoort CSP plant in the Northern Cape province of South Africa
Mergers & Acquisitions: We advise companies, financial advisors and investors on both the sell side and the buy side of numerous complex M&A transactions. We provide seasoned counsel in structuring and documenting international joint ventures. Our experience includes:
- A global private equity firm with invested and committed capital in excess of US$7.5 billion in relation to an acquisition in South Africa
- An international energy company in a series of acquisitions and divestitures of oil & gas assets across the Middle East and North Africa
- Energy Transactions
- Hospitality and Hotels
- Liquefied Natural Gas (LNG)
- Maritime and Offshore Drilling
- Natural Gas
- Oil and Gas
- Central Asia/China
- Commercial Litigation
- Construction Litigation
- Energy Disputes and Litigation
- International Arbitration
- Latin America/Caribbean
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Mergers and Acquisitions
- Middle East
- Oil and Gas Disputes
- South Asia
#13 Legal Advisor, Announced M&A with any Sub Saharan Involvement (Emerging Markets), by volume, Q1 2014
#19 Legal Advisor, Completed M&A with any Sub Saharan Involvement (Emerging Markets), by value, Q1 2014
- DOJ and SEC Find Advance Due Diligence and Robust Compliance Program Shield Purchasing Company in FCPA-Stained TransactionOctober 3, 2016
- US Once Again a “Safe Harbor” for European Data with Launch of EU-US Privacy ShieldSeptember 15, 2016
- US No Longer Safe Harbor for European DataOctober 19, 2015
- The Middle East Energy Sector – Key Themes for 2015 Andrews Kurth Middle East NewsletterJanuary 2015
- EIC and Andrews Kurth to Host Legal and Contractual Risk Management Seminar for UK Companies in Abu Dhabi Andrews Kurth Middle East NewsletterJanuary 2015