Real Estate Straight Talk That Gets Deals Done
Commercial real estate deals are among the most complex transactions any business can undertake. The mix of financial, regulatory and operational issues is unique for each project in every geographic area. With more than 50 real estate lawyers, Andrews Kurth has the strength to provide legal assistance for closing the full gamut of commercial real estate transactions. Our practice background includes:
- Commercial Real Estate Projects
- Real Estate Finance
- Real Estate Energy Infrastructure
- Real Estate Litigation and Disputes
Andrews Kurth represents corporate owners, institutional lenders, equity investors/pension advisors, commercial developers and landlords on national and international projects, from sports stadiums to corporate headquarters and international hotel chains.
Retail and office leasing is a particular practice strength and we frequently counsel landlords of office complexes with over one million square feet.
We represent clients in financing, buying, selling, developing and leasing property and have considerable experience in corporate facilities management. We helped to facilitate development and investment projects throughout North America, including:
- Houston Sports Authority—Represented the Houston Sports Authority in the development of Reliant Stadium, Minute Maid Park and the Toyota Center.
- International Hotel—Advised Canada’s largest hotel operator in the purchase of a Vancouver hotel, World Trade Office and convention center, with financing from banks in Japan and Germany.
- Hotel Public Finance—Counseled national hotel operator in the development and operation of a 450-room facility in connection with the public tax-exempt bond financing of convention center in Omaha, Nebraska.
- Office Development—Represented commercial office building developer in the acquisition, development, financing and disposition of a 1.6 million square foot office campus in Denver, Colorado.
- Retail Development—Represented commercial retail developer in the acquisition, development and financing of a 500,000 square foot mixed-use development in The Woodlands, Texas.
- Tech Center—Represented the developer of a 1.5 million square foot technical center in Collierville, Tennessee.
- REO Disposition—Serving as counsel for commercial lender on the disposition of its REO portfolio, including office, retail, multifamily, and warehouse/industrial projects and undeveloped land acquired by lender and its affiliates through foreclosure or deed in lieu of foreclosure.
- Hotel/Casino Acquisition—Represented casino operator in connection with the purchase of hotel and casino projects in Las Vegas, Nevada and Atlantic City, New Jersey.
- Corporate Headquarters—Advised major corporate clients, including Chevron Phillips Chemical Co. and Chicago Bridge & Iron Co., in developing corporate headquarters facilities in The Woodlands, Texas.
Our major real estate clients include:
- AEW Capital Management
- Archon Group, L.P.
- BlackRock Realty Advisors, Inc.
- CIGNA Investments, Inc.
- GE Capital
- Hilton Hotels Corporation
- ING Clarion Partners
- Invesco Realty Advisors
- Landry’s Inc.
- Lincoln Property Company
- New York State Teachers’ Retirement System
- Pacific Life Insurance Company
- St. Luke’s Episcopal Health System
- State of Michigan Retirement Systems
- Texas Children’s Hospital
- TRIZEC Properties, Inc.
- USAA Real Estate Company
- Wells Fargo Bank
- Westmont Hospitality Group
With comprehensive firm-wide resources in banking, construction, environmental, securitization and tax law, we work to ensure a smooth process from start to finish. When related issues in land use, joint ventures, restructuring, foreclosures and bankruptcy arise, our lawyers promptly address and resolve these concerns and keep transitions on track.
Transactions in today's market also involve complex creditor relationships, and our attorneys regularly navigate the intercreditor agreement maze. From historic buildings in Manhattan to self-storage facilities in San Diego, we have represented lenders and investors at each level of the capital structure in transactions in all 50 states including:
- First lien mortgage
- A/B notes and mezzanine financing transactions
- Floating and fixed rate loans
- Preferred equity
- Construction loans
- Conduit lending platforms
Commercial Mortgage Backed Securitizations (CMBS)
Andrews Kurth is among the few national law firms that actively represents clients in all segments of the CMBS industry. We represent clients in their fusing the origination, securitization and servicing lines of business.
In our role as counsel to loan servicers, we represent master, primary and special servicers in connection with all facets of CMBS issues. Our experience includes:
- Loan assumptions
- Collateral releases
- Defeasance transactions
- Complex special servicing workouts, modifications and foreclosures
- Pooling and servicing agreements
- Real Estate Mortgage Investment Conduits (REMICs)
We provide integral legal assistance to clients who are acquiring, financing or developing oil and gas, pipeline or electric generating facilities throughout the United States. Our lawyers respond to real estate concerns every phase of the process, from resolving platting and zoning issues to handling environmental and permitting matters. We also regularly negotiate and draft:
- Purchase and sale agreements
- Option agreements
- Ground leases, including those with Industrial Development Bonds
- Easement agreements, for water, electricity, drainage, access and gas
- Water supply agreements
- Construction agreements for water treatment facilities, pipelines and water wells
- Deeds of conveyance
- Electrical and gas interconnection agreements
- Drill site and other surface use agreements
When real estate disputes occur, our trial lawyers have experience in representing all key players—from developers and lenders, including insurance companies, pension funds and servicers, to property owners, brokers and tenants. We understand strategies that work in claims concerning:
- Lender liability
- Property owner and occupier liability claims
- Construction defect and warranty claims
- Landlord/tenant claims
- Foreclosure disputes
Clients can benefit from the full resources of our Litigation practice group and the advocacy of lawyers skilled in efficient and effective dispute resolution and risk management.
- Clean Technology
- Credit Financing
- Energy Services
- Hospitality and Hotels
- Investment Funds
- Manufacturing and Sales
- Private Equity
- Real Estate
- Eminent Domain and Land Use Litigation
- Litigation and Dispute Resolution
- Public Law
- Public-Private Partnerships (P3s)
- Real Estate Finance/Capital Markets
- Structured Finance and Securitization
#1 Largest Houston-Area Real Estate Law Firm
Recognized as a Tier 1 Energy Law practice in the United States
Recognized as a Tier 1 Oil & Gas Law practice in the United States
Recognized as a Tier 1 Eminent Domain & Condemnation Law practice in Houston
Recognized as a Tier 1 Real Estate Law practice in Houston
- 1/26/2017Andrews Kurth Kenyon LLP Selected as Counsel to Las Vegas Stadium Authority
- 11/1/2016Andrews Kurth Kenyon Named Among Best Law Firms for 2017
- 6/20/2016The 2016 Legal 500 Guide Ranks Andrews Kurth in 14 Practice Areas
- 5/27/2016Andrews Kurth Receives High Marks from 2016 Chambers & Partners USA Guide
- 4/22/2016Seven Andrews Kurth Partners Named 2016 Best Lawyers in Dallas
- Music and Memories Gala and Benefit ConcertNovember 17, 2016
- Traps for the Unwary (Or Things You Don't Want to Learn the Hard Way)April 9, 2007
- Commercial Securitization for Real Estate LawyersApril 27, 2006
- Resolving Conflicts between Surface and Mineral DevelopmentMarch 14, 2006
- Resolving Conflicts Between Surface and Mineral DevelopmentMarch 14, 2006
- SEC Adopts Revised Net Worth Standard for Accredited InvestorsJanuary 12, 2012
- Texas Enacts the Texas Assignment of Rents ActJuly 14, 2011
- Next Wave of MBS Litigation Focuses on Issuers, UnderwritersNovember 8, 2010
- What Financial Regulatory Reform Means to Private FundsAugust 5, 2010
- EPA Rulemaking HotlineMarch 3, 2010